Support & Growth For Children
Tri-City Transitions provides a number of support programs for children and youth in need of help.
Please Note: Not all groups run year-round. Call the main office at (604) 941-7111 to find out about dates, times, and registration information.
Our programs include:
Our support programs provide a place of safety, respect and empowerment.
The PEACE Program
Our PEACE program groups rotate in 8 week cycles, Please contact us and we will be better able to assist with selecting the best dates for you.
The PEACE (Prevention, Education, Advocacy, Counselling and Empowerment) Program provides supportive psycho-educational programming to program participants. Services are provided to children between the ages of 3 and 9, and youth between the ages of 10 and 18 and their families/caregivers who have experienced violence. It is important to understand that children and youth experiences include “experiencing, resisting, responding to, being exposed to, living with, and being affected by violence.” Through support, education and group and individual counselling children and youth have the opportunity to heal the emotional wounds of family and or gender-based violence, build self-esteem and stop the inter-generational cycle of abuse.
The goals of the PEACE program are:
- To support children and youth to feel safe, respected, valued and heard To support mothers/caregivers to feel respected, empowered, confident and effective
- To support children, youth, and parents to develop healthy and respectful ways of connecting with one another including: Improved communication, problem solving, and cognitive coping skills
- To support emotional health and self-esteem
- To reduce isolation, and let children and youth know that they are not alone
- To identify and develop safety skills and strategies
- To educate non-violent ways of resolving conflict
The goals of the PEACE program (continued)
- To view emotions and responses not as pathological, but rather as a natural response to traumatic events
- To provide psycho-education and support to help children and youth identify and manage their emotions
- To provide strategies to help children and youth cope with and minimize responses, including healthy ways of expressing anger
- To foster hope by reminding children and youth of their abilities, and how they have used strategies and resistance in the past to successfully copy with adversity
- To offer reassurance that the child’s and youth’s reactions are natural under the circumstances
- To provide outreach in schools, focused on violence prevention
- To develop understanding of violence against women and girls
Safe, fun & educational support
PEACE Core Groups
PEACE CORE Groups sessions empower and support the emotional and psychological needs of the children, youth and guardians who access the program through a facilitated psychoeducation process. Program facilitation supports building on the relationship between the child and their guardian through a 6 week PEACE CORE Group and individual sessions. The 6 week PEACE CORE Program is a group process. Through group you obtain knowledge, skills and how to find your inner resource. Through the process of the CORE group you will experience the foundation of community and relationship through facilitated psychoeducational and experiential process.
The Youth PEACE CORE group is specifically for youth 13-18 years of old. Being able to identify and be a part of a unique group can empower youth to advocate for themselves, find their voice and have a safe space to be. This is a closed group for youth. Youth do not need guardian consent from the age 14. If you are a youth who has witnessed domestic violence or have been in the cross fire of conflict this is a safe space for you.
Guardians of youth who are enrolled in the Youth PEACE CORE group will be able to share and participate in the psychoeducational concepts that are parallel to their youth. The Guardian group is a closed group specifically for guardians whose youth are enrolled in the youth group. The guardian group can be incredibly powerful. To be a part of the PEACE CORE group can help address feelings of alienation. Connecting to others in your community can be a great resource. During your time in this group you will learn various concepts and be better equipped to find the resource within to guide you through what is happening for you and your family.
In this 6 week CORE group you will be introduced to:
- Experiential processing
- Different types of abuse and the developmental impact
- Identify and express feelings
- How to problem solve and resolve conflict
- Develop confidence and self-esteem
- Ways to stay safe and resources including creating your own first-aid kit
Tri City Transitions offer the PEACE CORE Group process as well as individual sessions for children, youth and guardian. This is a well-supported method to ensure best practices when working with individuals and their family. Breaking the cycle of abuse starts here.
Start a new program today!
Violence Is Preventable (VIP) School Based Intervention And Education Program
The Violence is Preventable program is a school based education program designed to help grade 8 students better understand the dynamics of healthy vs. unhealthy relationships, how to make healthy choices (partners and behaviours) and how to support friends that may be in an abusive relationship. This program is offered as a series of workshops and can be tailored to meet an individual school’s need.
Teen Moms Group
Group support for pregnant and teenage moms at the CABE alternate school in Coquitlam.