Joy’s Place is a transition house that provides temporary safe shelter and support for adult women and their dependent children (if any)
who are victims of domestic violence or are at risk of experiencing abuse, threats and/or violence. The program is not intended for women with problems
related exclusively to their mental health, alcoholism or drug abuse issues.
In A Safe Environment We Offer:
- Basic living necessities for women and their children up to 30 days
- Support and information related to gaining relationship independence and autonomy
- Information and referrals to appropriate community services for self- identified goals; legal, housing, education, personal counselling, parenting, etc.
- Advocacy and assistance
- Telephone availability and support
- Integrated agency programming
The transition house operates on a 24/7 basis.
Additional Services Provided:
- Crisis intervention and support
- Individual group discussion to assist in understanding the dynamics of domestic violence
- Individual/group support to mothers and their children to develop effective coping strategies
- On- site support /guidance by TCT Children who Witness Abuse Counsellor to provide direct services to children
- Fast tracked referrals to TCT services not immediately available at the Transition House program
- Ongoing support groups and workshops designed to promote autonomy and independence
- Clothing bank
- Resource library, employment information and internet services