- Take a seat: Find a place to sit that feels calm and quiet to you
- Set a time limit
- Notice your body: Make sure that you are stable and in a position, you can stay in for a while
- Feel your breath: Follow the sensation of your breath as it goes out and it goes in.
- Notice when your mind has wandered: When you get around to noticing this – in a few seconds, a minute, five minutes – simply return your attention to the breath.
- Be kind to your wandering mind: Don’t judge yourself or obsess over the content of the thoughts you find yourself lost in. Just come back.